History

Historical place

Since the beginning of the so called “Golden Age” (1600-1700), this has been the part of Amsterdam where shipbuilding took place. The large shipyards of the Admiralty and the VOC were established on the Eastern Islands of Kattenburg and Oostenburg. The shipowners were based at Wittenburg and the smaller shipyards started on the outskirts of the old town along Rapenburg and the Nieuwe vaart. Trade was booming and immigration caused the city to expand rapidly. Already in 1663, during the 4th expansion of Amsterdam, the defence structures were placed beyond the shipyards. A few hundred meters further on you will find a remnant of that time; the Muiderpoort. Fifty years ago, only three yards remained. Now “Werf ‘t-Kromhout” is the only wharf left in this part of the city.

Amsterdam in 1796

The shipyard

The Goedkoop family bought the shipyard in 1870 to maintain their steam tugboats. Around 1900, a machine factory was set up in the newly built 2nd canopy where the first Kromhout engines were developed. After the company moved to Amsterdam-Noord, the repair and tarring of ships continued under new owners until 1970.

In 1973 the foundation “Werf ‘t-Kromhout” took over the site and a year later the association ”Vereniging Vrienden van de werf ‘t-Kromhout” was founded and became the treasurer and owner of the collection and inventory. In 1996, the site and buildings were taken over by the Amsterdam Monuments Fund. Three years later, this fund merges with the Amsterdam Society for Urban Recovery. The new name will be Stadsherstel Amsterdam NV.

The foundation has the wharf and the buildings on a long lease. Stadsherstel has transferred the management of the museum to the association, which changed its name in 2012 to “Vereniging Museum ‘t-Kromhout. The operation of the shipyard in the west hall is legally separate from the engine hall in which the Museum ‘t-Kromhout is located.